Tuesday, January 31, 2017

What I Miss About My Mom

Today would have been my mom's 86th birthday. Five years ago she passed away. Sometimes I can't believe it has been that long and other times it feels like she has been away forever. I have always believed that when you love somebody you never lose them. You will always have them in your memories. But even with my memories of her firmly in hand there isn't a day that goes by when I don't miss her. Below is some of what I miss the most:


Her sandwiches (Perfection between two slices of bread)

Watching her with my kids.

Getting the occasional old school, snail mail letter from her ( She never did learn how to use email)

Seeing how she reached out and ministered to people who could be difficult or overlooked.

Christmas breakfast at her house.

The way her face would scrunch up out of nowhere when she started to cry.

Knowing that if I was watching a Giants game she was probably watching it too.

In her last couple of years, hearing her tell same story she told yesterday or even a couple hours ago.

Her goody drawer. (It was for the kids but I liked it too)

How she took care of dad (before and after his illness)

Knowing she was praying for me.

Being able to call her if I wanted or needed to.

The way she would laugh at herself.

Playing cards with her and dad.

Having her visit and hating to see her go back home.

Her quiet adventurousness.

Her wise advice.

Her gentle spirit paired with a powerful faith

Her presence.





No comments:

Post a Comment