Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Papa

I've played a number of roles in my life. I've been a son, a brother, a cousin and an uncle. I became husband and a dad. I've been a teacher, a pastor, a coach, and a salesman. I've been called friend, coworker, neighbor and some things I'd rather not mention. I'll admit there were times I felt overwhelmed by the expectations that came with all of these. The last thing I thought I wanted or needed was a new title. 

Five years ago this morning I was given yet another role. On August 6th, 2010 I became Papa. Savannah Joyce Scherzer entered the world and changed my life. Within seconds of seeing her for the first time I couldn't imagine life without her. I didn't know what I'd been missing. This is why I love being Papa:

Hearing her giggle uncontrollably at something silly I've said

The sense of justice I feel when she gives her mother a difficult time

Watching how her mother deals with her and realizing I must have done something right. 

Bedtime stories when we have sleepovers 

Seeing how excited she gets when Jody and I walk through the door

Having little ones around at Christmas again 

How she corrects me every time I say "Sophia the Worst" (some of you know what I'm talking about)

Giving sage advice to her parents 

Goodnight hugs and kisses

Spoiling 

Handing her back to her parents after said spoiling 

Having coworkers think I'm older than I actually am (Okay, maybe I don't love that so much)

Watching her grow

Wishing she would stop growing 

Hearing her say, "Can we watch the Giants?"

Pushing her on the swings

Seeing her play with her little sister 

Being a hero for something as simple as going to the store to buy apple juice 

Seeing how she melts Jody's heart
Having my heart melted everyday

Happy birthday Savannah. I know you're going to get a lot of presents but I hope you know that being your Papa is the best present of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment