Tuesday, December 1, 2015

My Top 25 Christmas Recordings #24 Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)

I expect to catch some flack for this one. I can understand why some people don't care for this song. At first glance it appears to be an ode to greed sung by a brainless gold-digger. I happen to think that it is a piece of hilarious satire. (My favorite line: "Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing...  a ring, I don't mean on the phone" That's funny stuff.)

One caveat though, this is the one and  only version of this song that should ever be played, All the other attempts to replicate it are crass imposters. (I'm looking at you Madonna. Are you listening Britney Spears?) So here is the original. Take a fresh listen.




The list so far:
24. Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)
         25. Feliz Navidad (Jose Feliciano)

No comments:

Post a Comment